2021-2022 Counselor's Corner
Meet the Counselor
Brittany Perez, MA, LPCC, NCC, PPS
Elementary School Counselor
Phone: 626-821-8356 x 5626
Email: [email protected]
Hello Hugo Reid families! My name is Ms. (Brittany) Perez and I am the school counselor here at Hugo Reid Elementary School! This is my first year at Hugo Reid Elementary School and I am very excited to have the opportunity to work alongside such amazing educators to support our wonderful students and families.
A little about me:
- I received my Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from University of California, Riverside (Go Highlanders!) and my Master of Arts in Counseling, K-12; Higher Education, Pupil Personnel Services credential in School Counseling from the University of Redlands (Go Bulldogs!). I received my LPCC Respecialization Certificate in Clinical Counseling from Azusa Pacific University (Go Cougars!).
- This will be my 9th school year as a school counselor. I am also a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (#7249). I absolutely LOVE what I do and I am so grateful to be able to do what I love.
- When I am not working, I enjoy spending time relaxing with my boyfriend, my family, my friends and my 2 doggies. I also enjoy traveling, hiking, doing yoga and trying new coffee shops! (Tierra mia is my favorite!)
- My main focus lately has been preparing for the arrival of my first child who is due in December :)
What do elementary school counselors do?
- Support school wide with awareness weeks and initiatives
- Support school wide as a member of the leadership team
- Teach classroom lessons on social/emotional topics
- Facilitate short-term small group counseling
- Provide immediate and short-term individual counseling to enhance certain skills
- Work collaboratively with teachers and staff
- Consult with parents, other support staff and outside agencies
- Provide information and/or referrals for community resources to families
School counseling services
- Individual Counseling
- Topics may include emotion regulation, behavior modification, grief, coping skills, social skills, changing families, problem solving, decision making, building self-esteem, etc.
- Small Group Counseling
- Topics may include social skills, coping skills, emotion regulation, fairness, conflict mediation, friendship, self-esteem, grief and loss, anger management, stress management, study skills, etc.
- Classroom Lessons
- Kimochis - Evidence based curriculum to help students communicate and manage feelings in positive ways to promote well-being and success in school and life. (TK)
- Second Step - Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) evidence based curriculum gives students the tools to excel inside and outside of the classroom. The focus is on emotion management, situational awareness, problem solving and academic achievement. (K-2)
- Leader in Me - The 7 Habits of Happy Kids is a key component of The Leader in Me. The 7 Habits is a combination of universal, timeless principles of responsibility, communication, time management, vision, integrity, teamwork and renewal, which are secular in nature and common to all people and cultures. (3-5)
- Needs Based - I conduct classroom lessons on a variety of topics depending on the need of the class, grade level, school. Topics may include; Test Taking Tips and Strategies, Zones of Regulation (emotion regulation curriculum), Tattling vs. Reporting, Kindness, Diversity, restorative conversations, Study Skills, etc.
- 5th Grade Transition - I work closely with the AUSD Transition Counselors in preparing 5th grade students for Middle School through the implementation of lessons on communication, being proactive, resiliency, productive study habits, expectations of Middle School, etc.