Who am I?
Hello! My name is Ms. (Kimberly) Lauxen and I am the new elementary school counselor at Hugo Reid! I am thrilled to join the Arcadia Unified family and am grateful to be serving the students and families at Hugo Reid! Here is a little information about myself and the counseling program:
Before becoming a school counselor I was a classroom teacher for twelve years, teaching fourth through sixth grade in La Canada, California. During my journey as a teacher, I discovered my favorite part about teaching was when I was listening to and advocating for my students. So, I earned my master’s degree and credential in school counseling and immediately began counseling at the high school level in La Canada. I spent three years counseling high school students, and I am eager to begin my work again at the elementary level here at Hugo Reid! I enjoy yoga, family road trips, and trying new restaurants! Please feel free to contact me with any further questions. I am eager to support the students, families, and staff here at Hugo Reid and look forward to a successful year!
What do elementary school counselors do?
- Teach classroom lessons on social/emotional topics
- Facilitate short-term small group counseling
- Provide immediate and short-term individual counseling in the scope of the school
- Work collaboratively with teachers and staff
- Consult with parents
- Provide information and/or referrals for community resources to families
How does your child experience school counseling services?
- Individual Counseling- I may work with a student in a safe, positive, and confidential setting to address issues that 'get in the way' of school achievement. Topics are based on the needs of the student and may include: understanding feelings, changing families/divorce, grief, stress, social skills, academics, bullying, problem-solving, and decision-making.
- Small Group Counseling- A process where students sharing similar barriers or concerns work together in a small group environment consisting of about 3-6 peers. The group sessions usually last about 30 minutes and are held for approximately 6-8 weeks. Topics are based on the needs of the students and may include friendship and social skills, study skills, conflict resolution, anger management, self-esteem, and stress-management.
- Classroom Counseling Lessons- I will be facilitating Second Step lessons in grades K-2 throughout the school year. These lessons are following the Second Step Program, which focuses on teaching children how to understand and manage their emotions, be aware of others' feelings and have the skills to problem solve and make responsible decisions. I will also be delivering lessons on the 7 Leader in Me Habits in various grade levels throughout the year. Content from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is a key component of The Leader in Me. The 7 Habits is a combination of universal, timeless principles of personal and interpersonal effectiveness, such as responsibility, vision, integrity, teamwork, collaboration and renewal, which are secular in nature and common to all people and cultures. And finally, I will be working closely with the AUSD Transition Counselors in preparing 5th grade students for middle school through the implementation of lessons on communication, being proactive, building resilience, and establishing appropriate study habits.
Thank you for checking out the Counselor's Corner!
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!